Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

May 04, 2010

Interview with Dartmouth Tuck Class of 2011 MBA Student

A Japanese member of the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth's class of 2011 was kind enough to answer my questions.  "Tuck 2011" is a former client and one of the organizers of Tuck's 2010 Japan Trek.  As a matter of disclosure, I was one of the 2009 and 2010 Treks' sponsors.
------------------

Adam:   What has your first year at Tuck been like?
Tuck 2011: It has been extremely busy year for both studying and job hunting. It's unbelievable that academic is year is about to end.

Adam: How do you like life in Hanover?
Tuck 2011: I love it. Since my hobby is to play sports, I enjoyed ice hockey in winter and golf in summer. If you would like to make close friends, I think Hanover is the best place since you would spend most of time with friends from your school. (In other words, there are not too many other people to spend time with.)
 
Adam: What is the Tuck community like?
Tuck 2011: The Tuck community is like family. Literally for those who live on campus since they spend most of time together. Everybody is friendly and you don't need to worry about making friends here. From an academic point of view, collaboration between students is highly emphasized in Tuck and you will experience and learn to work together with others.

Adam:  I know you played a major role in organizing the Japan Trek, but did you actually have time for other extracurricular activities?  If so, which ones are you active in?
Tuck 2011: In addition to preparation for Japan Trek, which I spent about 5 hours a week n, I played ice hockey about 3 hours a week. Other than that, I couldn't have participated extracurricular activities so far. What has prevented me from participating in such activities is job hunting. For Japanese students, job hunting starts in fall when no American students are doing it.  School gives us large amount of homework assuming students are not starting recruiting. Thus, fall term was extremely rigorous for Japanese students looking for job. I also did recruiting in winter too since some consulting companies start their recruiting in winter.
 
Adam: Are there any common characteristics you find amongst your classmates?
Tuck 2011: Friendly, collaborative and loves Tuck!

Adam: Do you have any specific advice for those considering application to Tuck?
Tuck 2011: One should confirm that you actually fit to Tuck community both in terms of personality and in regards to Hanover from an  environmental perspective. If they fit to you, emphasize so in the application process.

Adam: As you know, Tuck really emphasizes leadership and making contributions in its application essays, so do you have specific advice on either topic for applicants?
Tuck 2011: In Tuck many of activities such as Admitted Student Weekend are organized by students. I would recommend applicants to specify what they can contribute not just by following what students have done before but by finding overlap between your interest and contribution to the community. For example, one of colleague just started Sales Club since she is interested in sales and she thinks sales is one of the most important functions in companies.

Adam: Anything else you would like to tell us?
Tuck 2011: I hope applicants would not give up if they really want to go to MBA. I, myself, spent a few years for the application process. If you quit, you will never be able to go.

 ---------------------------------
I want to thank Tuck 2011 for taking the time to answer my questions.
-Adam Markus
アダム マーカス

NEED MBA ADMISSIONS CONSULTING?
If you are looking for a highly experienced admissions consultant who is passionate about helping his clients succeed, please feel free to contact me at adammarkus@gmail.com to arrange an initial consultation. To learn more about my services, see here. Initial consultations are conducted by Skype or telephone. For clients in Tokyo, a free face-to-face consultation is possible after an initial Skype or telephone consultation. I only work with a limited number of clients per year and believe that an initial consultation is the best way to determine whether there is a good fit. Whether you use my service or another, I suggest making certain that the fit feels right to you.


ビジネススクール MBA留 タック・スクール・オブ・ビジネス

Real Time Web Analytics