Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

March 14, 2011

Tokyo update/March 19th event

While there are some inconveniences here in Tokyo, the damage has been limited.  I live in the financial/political center of the city, so I am not being effected by the planned rolling blackouts that are supposed to have commenced today.  The biggest cause for concern for us in Tokyo  is the ongoing situation with the nuclear reactors.  Hopefully that situation will soon be under control.

The situation in Northern Japan is awful.  Please refer to my previous posts (here and here)  on making contributions.  Oddly, the Japanese Red Cross has still not started a program for charitable giving focused on the effected areas.  Once that information is available, I will post it. 

Vince Ricci and I still hope to have our March 19th event here in Tokyo, but obviously the situation is a bit uncertain at the moment.  For those who have signed up for the event, we will be sending an email update within the next 24-48 hours.

Personally, I have been impressed by the Japanese government's response to this disaster. I was here right after the Kobe earthquake in 1995 when the government failed to respond effectively. The effectiveness of the effort so far has been impressive.  For a government that previously under much justifiable criticism for being ineffective, Prime Minister Kan has seemingly risen to the occasion.

We must hope for the best.

Cheers,
Adam
 
Real Time Web Analytics