Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

October 06, 2007

LL.M. Acceptance Rate Table Revised

I have now obtained complete information from UCLA and Michigan, Ann Arbor, as well as additions/corrections from New York University and Vanderbilt. While I thank all four schools for their assistance, I want to especially thank UCLA and Michigan, Ann Arbor for providing the complete data necessary for LL.M. applicants to make informed decisions based on knowing their actual chance for admission. I hope that other schools will follow.

One thing that has been very interesting for me was to see the relative value of my predictive model based on looking at J.D. yield rates. As you can see my model effectively predicted the LL.M. acceptance rate close to the actual rate at UCLA, but underestimated the actual rate at Michigan by 7%.

(CLICK TO ENLARGE. For the excel file, email me adammarkus@gmail.com)
At least for those admitted for this Fall, the yield rates at UCLA are almost the same for the J.D. and LL.M. programs with it being slightly easier to enter into the LL.M program. In the case of Michigan there is greater variation and it is significantly easier to get into LL.M program. Approximately 1 in 5 applicants are admitted to UCLA's LL.M. program and 1 in 3 to Michigan's. We can also conclude that at least for these two schools, the US News and World Report's ranking is not a very good predicator of difficulty of admission because Michigan ranks 8th and UCLA ranks 15th, but the former is significantly easier to enter.

One thing to keep in mind is that I am using data for the most recent year reported. Given the overall limited nature of the LL.M. data set, I have reported whatever numbers I could find. Ideally, I would be looking at one set of data for the same year, while I am comparing the most recent year reported even if it is different. I also made the decision to use this year's data for UCLA and Michigan because those numbers are the best guide for this year's applicants.

I will continue to try and obtain better information from other schools and report back on any progress that I make.

-Adam Markus
アダム マーカス

コロンビア, ハーバード, シカゴ, スタンフォード, 米国ロースクール、米国大学法学院, 大学院入学, カウンセリング, コンサルティング, 合格対策, LLM留学
Real Time Web Analytics