Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

March 04, 2010

Dartmouth Tuck MBA Interviews

This post is slightly updated from the one I did last year as it now includes a list of typical questions that Tuck asks. My analysis of Tuck's essays can be found here.

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth interview is about fit, so make sure you can explain in great depth why you want to become a part of Tuck's small intensive community in Hanover. If you interview on-campus expect to be asked about how you liked it. If you have never been to Hanover, contact with alumni and intensive school research are all great ways to prepare. Keep in mind that the objective of this research is to determine what you really like about the school, about how Tuck is right for you, and how you imagine yourself contributing to it. Try to focus on what you need from the school, not merely stating obvious information about it.

Demonstrated enthusiasm to attend Tuck is very helpful. Based on my experience, that enthusiasm in combination with the ability to provide solid answers to routine MBA questions is most critical to succeeding at this interview. Most reported interviews found at accepted.com and clearadmit.com simply consist of standard questions. See my previous post on interview strategy. Expect questions about teams, friendship, and extracurricular activities.  My colleague, Steve Green, has identified the following as very common Tuck interview questions:
INTRO: RESUME
  •  Walk me through your resume.
  • We definitely covered the whole resume, though not in order, i.e. no "walk me through your resume" question
  • Tell me more about yourself that I can’t see from your resume
  • Talk about your current job
  • Talk your work in .. (location)
  • How do you spend your free time?
  • Do you have any/ What is your  international experience?

GOALS, REASONS FOR MBA, REASONS FOR TUCK
  • What are your goals?
  • What motivates you to get an MBA at this point in your career?
  • Why do you want an MBA at Tuck?
  • What will you be involved with at Tuck?
  • How will you contribute to Tuck?

TEAMWORK
  • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult teammate.
  • Tell me about a time you had to work in a team.
  • What are the qualities that make you successful on a team
  • Tell me about a time you experienced conflict on a team, and how you handled it?
 

LEADERSHIP
  • What type of leader are you?

SELF-AWARENESS
  • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss and how it was resolved.
  • What is your biggest accomplishment in your personal and/or professional life
  •  Tell me about a failure.
  • Tell me about your analytical skills.
  • What are your 3 strengths?
  • What are your 3 weaknesses?
  • Imagine you are selling yourself to the adcom. What 3 things do you want them to know about you?
  • What do your colleagues most admire about you?
  • What are three things you’d like the adcom to know about you?

CLOSING COMMENTS/QUESTIONS
  • Is there anything else you’d like Tuck to know about you?
  • Is there anything you hoped I’d ask, but didn’t?
  • Questions for me?


You need to know your resume completely as you will likely be asked about content in it. Review it carefully and consider what your interviewer might ask you to explain more thoroughly. If it is on your resume, it is fair game. Even an admissions officer interviewer will only have your resume, but you should assume they will know the contents of it fairly well. As Clear Admit states, "Tuck employs a ‘blind’ interview process, using only the resume as a basis for the interview.

Interviewers, according to the Tuck FAQ:
Interviews on campus are scheduled primarily with admissions associates (second-year students) and occasionally with members of the admissions committee. Off-campus interviews with an alumni interviewer, admissions committee member, or admissions associate are scheduled by invitation only.



Reported interview length: 30 to 45 minutes.

If you are interested in my interview preparation or other graduate admission consulting services, please click here.

Questions? Write comments, but do not send me emails asking me to advise you on your application strategy unless you are interested in my consulting services. Please see my FAQ regarding the types of questions I will respond to. Before emailing me questions about your chances for admission or personal profile, please see my recent post on "Why I don't analyze profiles without consulting with the applicant."
-Adam Markus
アダム マーカス

ビジネススクール カウンセリング コンサルティング MBA留学 インタビュー 面接

Real Time Web Analytics